Swift User Categories
Table of contents
Swift user categories and usage rights
- Supervised Financial Institution
This user category also includes shareholders.
- Non-Supervised Entity active in the financial industry
- Closed User Groups and Corporate entities
Corporate, Financial Market Regulator, Payment System Participant, Securities Market Data Provider, Securities Market Infrastructure System Participant, Service Participant within Member Administered Closed User Group and Treasury Counterparty.
The eligibility criteria are described in the Corporate Rules and here.
The following type of organisations are eligible for shareholding:
An eligible organisation holding a share in S.W.I.F.T. SC, including banks, eligible securities broker-dealers and regulated investment management institutions. Details about Swift shareholding can be found in the Swift By-laws.
- Non-Shareholding Member
A Non-Shareholding Member is an organisation which complies with the eligibility criteria of a Shareholder (Member), and which has either chosen not to or is prevented from becoming a Shareholder.
A Sub-member is an organisation more than 50 percent directly or 100 percent indirectly owned by a shareholder and which meets the criteria set forth for shareholder. A Sub-member must be under full management control of the shareholder.
Swift user categories usage rights
- The Supervised Financial Institution can send/receive all types of messages.
- The Non-Supervised Entity active in the financial industry can send all types of messages to Supervised Financial Institutions but cannot send/receive payment messages to/from other Non-Supervised Entities.
- Closed User Groups (CUG): the administrator of the CUG defines the message types that can be sent/received.
Corporates: criteria are defined in the FIN and Solutions matrix.
Further details can be found in the appropriate service descriptions.
Access to Swift services and products is defined in the respective Service Descriptions. Make sure to always consult the latest versions. Please contact the nearest Swift office for information about the application process.